Danielle Ruby Slade.
A name that I am more proud of than almost anything. Danielle — A name that my parents chose for me above all other names, a name inspired by my pop “Danny”. Ruby — My grandmothers name. Grandma Ruby, the one that I never met but I love her so much just from all the wonderful stories. My birthstone just happens to be ruby as well! Slade — A last name should be strong and empowering. Whenever I begin to doubt myself I always remember that I am a Slade and all is well again.
I am a woman. I can do anything. I can be whatever I set out to be. Some people have it in them and some don’t. I have it in me to succeed. I have it in me to be successful in whatever I choose. I am Slade.
Life is a series of obstacles, roadblocks and most importantly: random ice cream rainfalls. My life as it is now started when I moved out of my parents house to go to college 300 miles away. Richard and I left exactly one month after my 18th birthday. I was so ready to move and so ready to start my life. Looking back, I was young and dumb as hell. Now listen and listen good; this shit is important:
- Money does not grow on trees. I had to learn this the hard way.
- Trust no one. Not your neighbor, not your landlord, not even your best friend.
- If you think for one minute that eating out every night or those ramen noodles will ever even begin to compare to your mama’s cooking, you are sadly mistaken.
- If you think that you do not have to wash clothes at least once a week to have clean underwear, you are sadly mistaken.
- If you think that just because you have a dishwasher you do not have to do anything, you are sadly mistaken.
- Bills do not pay themselves.
- When you live 300 miles from home in a big ass city it is much harder to get a job. No one knows your mama or your daddy or your great uncle Fred and they could care less about where you come from.
Basically what I am saying is respect your parents and all that they do. You will miss it and them more then you ever thought possible.
Parents. If there is one thing that I could scream at the top of my lungs for the whole world to hear it would be “I love my parents!” Of course we have had fights and all that family drama but I can honestly say that they understand me more than anyone else. My Ma and pop are my best friends. They are both so different and I love them for that. No matter what the question is one of them will know the answer. They always give the best advice and tell you exactly what they think no matter if you want to hear it or not. My sister Lisa and Brother Elvis are also very special to me. They are the best, they are always there for me and I can count on them 100% no matter what. Family is whats important. As long as you are straight up, family will always have your back. Blood is thicker than water. Don’t forget it.
Love. The real stuff. My honey, Richard Troy Midyette. He is the one that can make me smile on my worst day. He is that happiness inside me that no one else can even compare to. Richard moved with me to Charlotte, he too moved 300 miles from his only family. He would give me the world if he could. He hasn’t let me down yet in the 2 years that we have been together and I am certain that he never will. Engaged.
–Thanks for the inspiration Meredith!–